Drinking and driving can quickly transform the most wonderful time of the year from joyous to disastrous. Getting behind the wheel of a vehicle after consuming alcohol not only endangers your own life but also poses a threat to innocent people. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one person every nine minutes in our country dies due to drunk driving. In 2021, 13,384 people died nationwide due to alcohol-impaired driving.
The holiday season, from Thanksgiving week to the end of the year, has increased travel and a surge in festive celebrations, making roadways particularly dangerous. The Sunshine State is especially vulnerable to alcohol-related deaths due to being the vacation capital of the world, where tourists flock for fun in the sun. Sadly, all alcohol-related deaths are preventable.
The Impact of Alcohol on Driving Ability
Consuming alcohol has a profound impact on essential aspects of physical and cognitive functions, which are crucial for safe and responsible driving. Symptoms associated with alcohol consumption include impaired judgment, slower reaction times, reduced coordination, impaired vision, fatigue, impaired depth perception, and perception of speed. Understanding these effects is key to promoting responsible and safe driving habits.
Making Memories, Not Mistakes
Driving under the influence is not only illegal, it poses an extreme danger. Planning for holiday celebrations is a surefire way to ensure a safe journey home. Fortunately, numerous alternatives exist to ensure you and your loved ones have a memorable holiday season without jeopardizing lives.
Responsible Choices are:
- Designate a sober driver, a friend, or a family member you can trust to abstain from alcohol.
- Use Ridesharing Services such as Uber and Lyft. These services are popular as a convenient, affordable, and safe alternative to intoxicated driving.
- Explore cost-effective public transportation options for traveling during the holiday season. Many cities and towns have buses and trains running late into the night.
- Host a gathering at your home, inviting those consuming alcohol to stay the night. Create lasting memories while ensuring everyone’s safety.
- Plan to walk with friends or family to a local destination where you can enjoy alcohol responsibly and walk home safely.
- Encourage the enjoyment of non-alcoholic beverages in the festive atmosphere without overindulging in alcohol.
Holiday Law Enforcement
As the holidays unfold, Florida law enforcement agencies typically intensify their presence, being out in force to ensure public safety. This heightened presence addresses reckless driving, speeding, and promptly responding to traffic violations and emergencies. Increased police visibility is a crucial reminder to the public to make responsible choices.
Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyers in Volusia County, Florida
At the toughest times in your life, you need the toughest Florida criminal defense law firm. Woodard & Ferguson’s commitment to excellence is rooted in decades of unwavering dedication to criminal law. Known as tenacious advocates for those charged with crimes, we will fiercely protect your rights.
We sincerely hope you never require our services for a DUI arrest. However, we understand that people can make poor decisions, especially when celebrating the holidays. If you do face an arrest, rest assured that Woodard & Ferguson, Attorneys at Law, are here to stand by your side. A misdemeanor or felony conviction can alter the course of your life. Your legal matters deserve the utmost attention, and we pride ourselves on delivering tailored solutions that prioritize your needs.
Contact Woodard & Ferguson at (386) 677-0822 at our Ormond Beach, Florida, office to schedule a confidential consultation.